Saturday, December 31, 2011

Dream world

One day I read “The Lion of Comarre” (I listened to it, I like audiobooks), it is a short story. It gave me a lot to think about.

There was a city where people could go and fall asleep and sleep until the end of their life but the dreams were created by a machine which designed their own paradise, based on preferences, wishes and hopes. Whatever gave them pleasure and made them happy was there, so it was a paradise. Moreover, it was very realistic, non-distinguishable from reality. Of course, they were kept alive by some means and they did not starve to death.

So, I asked myself the question, if I had the chance to dream my life away in a realistic paradise, would I do it? I realized quickly that I would not do it. The more complicated part was realizing why I would not do it. It seems that I am a reality addict, I believe that truth is important.

What is the difference between living your life in a dream world and taking drugs to feel better? I believe that they are very similar, they give happiness by taking you out of this reality and I decided some time ago that happiness is not one of my priorities, but I do understand that people want happiness.

So, would I choose a real hell over an unreal paradise? I probably would. I don't like this world and yet I'm not trying to find refuge in dreams or drugs. Maybe some books that I read provide that relief. I would rather live in the countryside than in big cities, but maybe nature is the reality and cities are places where we run away from the reality of nature.

But is this reality real or is it just another dream? I have no choice but to consider this reality real.

No comments:

Post a Comment